Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sunrise to Sunset

Charlotte sleeps tight and I just love her morning hair! She greets me at my quiet place every morning with a warm hug and a sweet kiss.
Five years ago I owned a small hobby sheep farm. I raised Romney which I am still convinced are the most beautiful long wool sheep in the world. Before acquiring our little flock, we would make trips to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival the first weekend in May. Here we dreamed big and hard of owning sheep....one day. For three years I would look forward to adding the fanciful artwork on a mug from this potter, Marilu, to my collection. You know I put these mugs up when I moved here and I really do not know the motivation or reasoning for doing so. But they are out again and I use them every morning to hold my coffee. Like I have said on an earlier post, I am revisiting many aspects of my life right now....sheep mugs, yes. But for now I leave the wool boxed up in the attic.
Rose had a sleepover at her friend's house last night. They live 30 minutes away so I made a delightful road trip over to pick her up this evening. The setting sun was our scenery on the way home. Little towns with RR tracks and water towers are part of the charm of small town America.



3 comments:

Hill upon Hill said...

It is so windy here I am having trouble with the internet today. Do you live in a rural area? Did you know how to care for sheep or was it a steep learning curve? It is lovely to reflect over memories and things from the past.

Cathy said...

I lived in a largely rural area for the 10 years we farmed sheep. But five years ago, just three months before Charlotte's birth, we moved to town. I do not miss the 30 minute drive to town, after all convenience is quite wonderful, but the openess is so sorely missed that at times my heart hurts.

Cathy said...

I love it! That is exactly what it was....a very steep learning curve. You sound as if you have been there before....what is your story? I can still remember how the sheep were to arrive in five days and we did not even have the fence up yet!

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...