Tuesday, August 26, 2008

sock knitting once again

As the garden spiders are joyfully welcomed upon making their annual appearance amongst the plants in my kitchen garden, I pick up my double-pointed needles once again to knit socks. Last year I had such earnest aspirations to knit a pair of socks for all my friends as Christmas gifts. Alas, I only managed for two of my friends to cozy their tootsies in hand-knitted striped wool socks. I have no such ambitions this year; just to feel the touch of the narrow threads of wool between my fingers and the gentle "sight whooshing" of the #1 needles is enough. I believe I am presently as much of a process knitter as a project knitter. If I only looked at the project I would feel such a failure because the projects are not completed adequately on the time scale that I think they should. Instead, I just pick up the needles, enjoy the moment.
Knit, Knit, Breathe, Knit.
And a little Bach adds extra bliss.

5 comments:

Hill upon Hill said...

They look lovely, it is good to enjoy the process too.
It seems you have St.Andrews Cross spiders as well.
It was so warm this morning, but now it is cold again and I have E's jumper on.

Cathy said...

Never heard them called St. Andrews Cross spiders, but we really like them. It's especially fascinating to "feed" them. I can tell you are looking forward to the warmer weather days ahead!

The Editrix said...

I've been knitting for a few years now, but I've never tried knitting a pair of socks. I'll have to give it a try one day!

Are there any free online patterns for knitted socks that you can recommend?

Cathy said...

My favorite and most reliable sock pattern can be found at http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftsockasocks.htm
This pattern is a great place to begin if you have never knitted socks before. Do by all means give it a try, they are such a great carry along project.

The Editrix said...

Thankyou!

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...