Monday, June 8, 2009

Going "Green"

It is taking years, but even I am taking notice that mainstream America is gradually resorting to more eco-friendly habits. My son intrigued me with a conversation the other day regarding the future of grocery store bags with the possibility of a tax levied for their use. I found this pattern here and decided why not sew a bag I would enjoying stuffing with celery, yogurt and other sundry items.

I deviated from the pattern somewhat by adding a lining, liking the contrast of the two fabrics and the extra sturdiness it provided to the bag.

When I told Rose I was making a grocery store bag she replied,"Mama, are you going green?" Suddenly I felt so with it.




2 comments:

crochet lady said...

That is a great bag, roomy, sturdy looking and still has that eye appeal. Like the paisley.

I have one of the 'green' bags I got from a book rep. I forget to bring it when I go to the store. Maybe I will just tuck it in the car so it'll be there when I need it. One bag is not enough at the store though, so I either need to buy more 'green' bags or make some.

I thought about crocheting some net bags, but wasn't sure how sturdy they would be. I'll have to think on it some more.

Jen

Elisabeth Black said...

So with it. Your stripey bag looks like a trip to Cape Cod.

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...