Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A going away dinner

Alan leaves for college tomorrow, heading to a small private school in the eastern part of our state. Alan is quiet and reserved in a line of loquacious siblings. We shall miss his quiet presence.

He requested lasagna, salad, garlic bread and strawberry cobbler, topped with vanilla ice cream naturally. With good thoughts of him I prepared the requested meal, so happy to be doing something that speaks of love. Charlotte conveys her version of love quite well. Every once in a while she looks at him and with the emotional intensity that only a six year old can unabashedly state, "I will miss you Alan."
My mother's heartstrings are taut.

These photos are courtesy of Rose, taken on her new camera.

There is a silly addendum to this post, so keep looking....

5 comments:

crochet lady said...

That sounds like a nice send off for your son.

Rose did a great job with her new camera!

PAK ART said...

That would be my choice for a perfect meal too. either that or tacos. It's always hard to watch them go, but you also feel so proud that you've raised them to be independent and capable. It's hard, but good. PS I don't know how I've missed your posts these past several days - it hasn't updated on my site so I didn't know you had posted new things. I didn't know you had zebra finches. Love them! And I really like the rabbit wallpaper.

Rhonda said...

What a sweet going away dinner for you all. Alan looks like a very nice young man-I'm sure you'll miss him very much.

crochet lady said...

Cathy, about the tomato sandwich -
I slice it nice and thick if it's big enough to cover the slice of bread, if not I slice thinner and use several. Next, I toast my bread then spread it with butter and mayo. I usually salt and pepper the tomato slices quite generously then add some crisp lettuce and sometimes a cheddar cheese slice.

The tea is hot with a little milk. To me that is the perfect breakfast! Crazy huh?

Hill upon Hill said...

Oh, firstly lasagne is my favourite too.
Secondly, how hard, I ache for you. I don't want to make you feel sad so I won't talk about my thoughts and feelings here.

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...