Monday, September 7, 2009

Hot Pepper Jelly


Tucked amongst the large cookbooks in the antique pine cupboard in my kitchen is a unassuming little cookbook. It was purchased when I was still considered a "young" homemaker. Many of the recipes have been tried at one time in years past. I have revisited the charm and treasure of this little cookbook this weekend. And the added splotches and splatters of wear from its use only give it extra definition.

A bumper crop of green peppers from our county friend was crying out to be made into a something extra good.

A blue ribbon vote has been given by all the tasters whom have tried it. Just pull out some crackers and cream cheese and top it with a smear of this jelly and watch it disappear. I am considering making another batch today. Maybe there are those who would appreciate receiving a little jar of this jelly at Christmas time, I am thinking.

But first I must finalize prep for tonight's dinner guest. Witt is bringing home the girl who, and I quote, " Mama, I believe she is the one".

4 comments:

PAK ART said...

Yikes! The one. I hope she is wonderful in every way and most of all that she loves your son and thinks he is wonderful in every way. btw - My sister has made some killer pepper jelly. It was delicious.

Hill upon Hill said...

What joy it would be to visit your family.

Rhonda said...

Hmm, I may have to look up a recipe for that-sounds good.
Some of my cookbooks are in similar condition to the one you shared with us-they contain the tried and true recipes I go back to time and time again.

I hope your dinner goes very well. It sounds like you son is very happy.

crochet lady said...

Do you use it like fruit jelly? Never had hot pepper jelly.
Sounds like your expecting a very important dinner guest! Hope all goes well.

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...