Thursday, May 10, 2012

the winter of Elgar

My five senses prickle my brain and have tendencies to create strong feelings of recall for specific times in my life. For example, when I was pregnant with my first child in 1982 and very nauseous for the first four months, "Chariots of Fire" received the Oscar as best picture for 1981. I lay on the couch and watched the Oscars on television while the runners ran alongside the shore and the theme song was playing, extremely beautiful and moving. For years, literally years, I would hear the song on the radio and an awful feeling of nausea would come creeping into my stomach.

This winter was the year of this magnificent song. I would play it throughout my day.




I will play this song often in the days to come and it will bring back vivid memories of the months that my mother lived downstairs in my bedroom.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thinking about and praying for you today....

Hill upon Hill said...

I cannot watch Nigella Lawson for the same reason.

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...