Friday, December 28, 2018

just be

Those quiet days after Christmas...when something inside you might be wanting to get back to the normal schedules of your life, yet it is quite delightful to just throw away the schedule and just be.

My beloved MIL has a birthday the day after New Years, therefore, we are venturing to her house tomorrow a couple of hours away to spend some time with her. I baked a devil's foods cake  selected from the Vintage Cakes cookbook by Jane Brocket. Have you ever wondered what the difference is between a Devil's Food and a Chocolate Cake? It is obvious to the baker when you add a double amount of baking soda  in proportion to the amount of baking powder in the cake mixture. This extra dose of baking soda will raise the ph level causing the cake to be darker and fluffier, along with the addition of cocoa powder and coffee  which also ups the intensity of richness and fluffiness to the cake. Since Claire had made my husband a birthday cake last week using a buttercream frosting which tasted so delicious, I decided on this simple chocolate buttercream recipe. I have all the ingredients on my pantry shelf and the butter is softening on my kitchen counter even as I type this.


No comments:

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...