Saturday, January 5, 2019

happenings of the home kind

That week beginning immediately after New Year's Day, which  as you know happened to be on a Wednesday this year, I have found to be much kinder to body and soul if that week is eased into  with as much calm and home kind of activities as possible. Not unlike yeast being added to the bread flour, it jump starts the forthcoming return of daily life's schedules.




Usually on New Years Eve I will pull out a new jigsaw puzzle on the table in the sun room. I begin with a marathon amount of hours working on it that evening, then it might rest until I absolutely must finish it. It "calls my name" if you know what I mean. It took New Years Eve and two day bouts of popping in from time to time to complete this 1000 piece puzzle this week.
 And in the kitchen, one of my most favorite places to be when I am home, a non-knead bread from this book was baked, and a  whole chicken roasted,  from which the meat was pulled off the bones in order to make a much requested dish for my husband, a pot of chicken and dumplings. How that man of mine loves a bowl of brothy rich chicken and dumplings! The bones were used to make the chicken stock. Between those two recipes January began with being surrounded with high levels of comfort food!
I  have no interest in drinking Chai Tea until the winter months. Last year I planned to try experimenting with making my own recipe for chai tea. But honestly, this loose leaf tea purchased from  Mountain Rose Herb Company is quite delicious. And having milk warmer and frother is excellent for adding hot milk or froth to any warm beverage. Last winter I spent some time reading reviews about several on the market via amazon and decided that this inexpensive one by eurolux would meet my needs, and it does so, most excellently.  I was pleased to hear how Michelle had created her own recipe for Chai tea this Christmas. 

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

That bread looks perfect!! I like sharing your cozy and homey January days, even if I don't have comparable bread to enjoy while I read :-)

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...