Thursday, November 14, 2019

a november junket and afternoon tea


"Now in November, the leaves spread cloth of gold and red on the ground. The open fields take on a cinnamon tone and the wild blackberry canes in the swamp are frosted purple."
Gladys Taber
The Stillmeadow Road
                                                                                                                         
At sunrise the sky displayed a most gorgeous tangerine glow and as I stopped at the window to get a fuller view of its boldness, I knew it was only  teasing because the skies were going to be grey, but windless, on this cold day. Regardless, my husband had invited me to ride to the mountains with him and I had no reason to cavil the weather.
Along the highways our eyes caught  the beauty of the leaves muted tones, and even those trees that had mostly shed the whole of their colorful coats were grand. A stop was made first thing, a call on a customer by my husband while I sat in the car snug as a bug in a rug and knitted. Soon enough we were on our way enjoying the quaintness of this little town's downtown, moseying through an antique shop and finally stopping to buy Made in the USA socks from a favorite factory outlet.
And to put a finishing touch on our fine November junket, we stopped for afternoon tea/late lunch in a stately, elegant turn of the century house. 
On the way home I read aloud a chapter from The Stillmeadow Road.


4 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Did your husband enjoy having Gladys along on your outing? Oh - but maybe you weren't reading her aloud?

It sounds so lovely - I went with my father once in early December up into the mountains to a little town and German bakery where before my mother's death the two of them had gone every year to buy stöllen. When I read your account it immediately brought that day to mind, and of course, I wished for someone to do that kind of thing with! But these treasures of moments are impossible to hold on to or to repeat.

Karen said...

It all sounds lovely, and looks delicious!
Karen

Laura said...

It looks like such a lovely place! How nice for you to have this special time together.

Laura said...

How nice for the two of you to be able to go to the mountains together! That tea room looks lovely!

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...