Wednesday, February 12, 2020

books, books and more books

                                                                              (image here)

I have always intended to be a woman of my word, and since I distinctly stated in my last post that I would give the books I was considering for my 2020 Reading Challenge soon, I believe soon has arrived this evening. These books are not necessarily written in stone, nor will I carve them there until I am reading a noted book and it proves itself to be a book I will want to continue reading. As you might well notice the list is not fully complete, I am open for suggestions...

1. 19th Century Classic   Wuthering Heights   Emily Bronte
2. 20th Century Classic   One of Ours   Willa Cather  
3. Classic written by a man    Jayber Crow   Wendell Berry
4. Classic in Translation    The Confessions  St. Augustine
5. Genre Classic  4:50 to Paddington  Agatha Christie
6. Classic with a person's name in the title   Celia's House.   D. E. Stevenson
7. Classic with a place in the title  We Bought An Island   Evelyn E. Atkins
8. Classic with nature in the title   The Country of the Pointed Firs  Sarah Orne Jewett
9. Classic about family  The Fountain Overflows  Rebecca West
10. An Abandoned Classic   Villete  Charlotte Bronte
11. Classic Adaption   North and South  Elizabeth Gaskell
12. Childhood Classic   Cornelli  Johanna Spyri
13. A Perennial  A Praying Life  Paul Miller
14. A Religious Classic   How Should We Then Live?   Francis Schaeffer  
15. A Grace Livingston Hill   Homing(?)
16. A biography/autobiography  Severe Mercy  Sheldon Vanauken
17. A non- fiction   Emily Dickinson's Gardening Life  Marta McDowell

What is it about typing something that makes reality spring into focus? This list seems terribly ambitious, especially in light of other things I love to do beside reading, and unfortunately, I have never been one that enjoys reading while doing something else with my hands.

      "A fondness for reading, properly directed,, must be an education in itself"
Jane Austen Mansfield Park



No comments:

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...