Thursday, April 30, 2020

the last day of April

It is green and it is chilly today in comparison to what we have experienced for the past few days. The soaring winds had joined in with the incoming storm during those wee hours of the early morning, I'd snuggled down deeper under the covers. 


All is cozy and calm in the brick house this morning. After breakfast,I prepared a spicy chicken soup and put it on to simmer and mixed the ingredients for a boule of einkorn bread, the levain having been made last night. And since I was on a cooking roll, I continued on with a spaghetti sauce to which I will add meatballs for our evening's meal.


 I keep an active sourdough starter. I love it. Yes, you heard me right I love my sourdough starter. 
And apparently since active dry yeast has been added to the list of things that are no longer on the grocery store shelves or even online shopping, then my sourdough starter had become still more precious to this bread baker.


Here is some good reading explaining leavens and starters if you are interested. Enjoy!

Please allow me the curtesy of explaining about this totally unrelated photo as I did not really have an very good picture to share. I was going through some of my photos and I found this one of George sitting on our back stairs that we were in the process of painting. I can see Charlotte's pencil marks and a blue sticker of where her and her friend Eli were adding the bees with their flying pathways.

1 comment:

Elisabeth Leake said...

Oh, yes, I do want to learn more about sourdough. I love my starter as well. : )

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...