Wednesday, April 22, 2020

War time Kitchen and Garden

If you are looking for something to give perspective of tough times while also learning about a particular time in history, may I give a hearty recommendation for BBC's Wartime Kitchen and Garden. We watched a daily episode during lunch as part of Charlotte's history study of WWII. These eight episodes enact cooking, preserving, and rationing as well as the huge task of providing food through gardening for the citizens and the military forces in Great Britain from the onset of the war in September 1939 to May 1945. This was told from two people whom actually lived during that time, Ruth Mott, the cook, and Harry Dobson, the gardener. There are also live clips of the war and you even hear Winston Churchill on the radio. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

One of the things I learned from this series is that the government introduced a bread called the National Loaf in 1942 due to white flour shortages. Today I baked a loaf of Spelt flour loaf bread which is a very delicious bread loaf for sandwiches and toast.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Interesting, I have never heard of this. Thank you for sharing! Perspective is definitely an important part of a distressing situation.

Christy said...

Hello! I just came across your blog :) We just finished watching Victorian Farm on Prime. I will had to add this one to my list, thank you for sharing!

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...