1. Handle Joe's money well. That she knew was important. She had noticed that married people had more trouble about money than almost anything else. She would keep accounts, she resolved, and never be extravagant-unless Joe wanted to be.
2. Keep yourself looking nice when Joe's around. Don't plaster on sticky creams at night, or wear your hair in curlers. She would put up her hair after he went to work, she planned.
3. Wear pretty house dresses, like Mamma does, and see that they're always clean. Some organdy aprons would be nice, too.
4. Learn to cook. Betsy frowned over that one. You're fairly bright. You can learn if you try.
5. Always, always, be gentle and loving. No matter if you're tired or feeling cross. Papa and Mamma don't quarrel, she thought. You and Joe don't need to, either.
Maud Hart Lovelace
Since it is the season of brides, I thought you would enjoy Betsy's sagacious words!