Saturday, July 19, 2008

Remnants of Fabric

My grandmother was an excellent seamstress who had a business of making draperies and slipcovers. I grew up spending time in her sewing room where I learned to appreciate a variety of multitudinous bolts of fabric. This morning found me waiting in line for the doors to open at a fabric sale. These designer fabrics are originally very pricey, but bargains were today's prize and I decided even if I never sewed these remnants into anything, it would be an uplifting experience just to get them out once and a while to ooh and aah over. (It doesn't take much to indulge any decadence on my part! )
Some of my plans are to make American Girl clothes for my daughters' dolls with these silk, brocade, and broche remnants.
Felicity and Samantha will be the most well-dressed dolls at the tea party.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Well, we could possibly have the same grandmother. ;o)
Mine ran her own business in Vero Beach many years ago, and my grandfather would hang the draperies for the customers.
Her industrial machine was handed down to my brother, so I have access to it, but a little afraid of it, as it's super fast.
Your material is lovely! I love to buy material just to enjoy looking at it, and waiting for something to use it for. Those will be very well dressed dolls!

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...