Monday, March 23, 2009

Embellishments

Embellish (em bel' ish) v. to add beauty to; decorate; adorn; ornament


Every year upon visiting a favorite fabric goods shop, I painstakingly (only because there are so many beautiful bolts of material) choose a pretty fabric to make Charlotte's Easter dress. A simple yoke dress smocked with lovely threads seems to appeal to my sense of spring and newness. I embellish the pleated yoke with stitches of cable, trellis, outline, bullion, and french knot.

Of course, I then transport my work here and yonder in one of the baskets I have woven, because inevitably a basket should serve a purpose and the sewing riding inside my basket adds just the perfect amount of extra embellishment.

4 comments:

crochet lady said...

How pretty. How blessed your daughter is to have such a talented and thoughtful mother!

I remember fondly some of my easter dresses as a child. I don't know if my mother made any of them. I do have one I keep hanging in my work room. It's powder blue with little daisies along the neckline. Maybe I'll post about that someday.

Hill upon Hill said...

Wow, a beautiful dress made by Mum. That is wonderful. Your family are blessed.

PAK ART said...

I love it. I'm always impressed by those who can sew, embroider, knit, and crochet. You make such beautiful things that can be worn by those you love. I draw and paint, but sometimes envy the ability to create with cloth, yarn and thread.

Elisabeth Black said...

Lovely! And that's one of the best ways I can think of to use a basket. Amanda Soule on soulemama.com says she has baskets of handwork all over the house so she can pick something up and work on it for a few minutes if opportunity presents itself. I think that might just increase my overly large stack of WIP's, but it's a good idea on many levels.

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...