Saturday, February 26, 2011

the embroidered pillowcase

Who would have known a pillow would provide such comfort to my dying father? A pillow ensconced in a pillowcase I embroidered when I was about ten years old. Some of the threads are missing and need to be restitched but I could not help smiling when I saw it there this week perched up alongside his sweet face. He made sure every night before we tucked him in that we put that pillow on his left side.


Dying is laborious work. I take any pearls and smiles I can find in this journey.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

This is a very tender and touching picture you paint of your father....and it says a lot about your care giving and the comfort you are giving him. I pray God's strength and grace to flow over you and through as you continue to labor in love. I imagine this is the hardest work ever.

The dB family said...

Oh my dear friend! Shedding tears for you and lifting you up in prayer for strength and courage. May God surround you with His love and compassion when you feel you can't go on!

Warmest hugs!
Deborah

Life In a Little House said...

That is beautiful to know your handwork is treasured. What wonderful moments you have shared with your father, may you feel the peace and strength of our Lord Jesus Christ. ~Love Heather

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...