Wednesday, October 9, 2019

the spider room

I happen chance to maintain a spider room in my house. True, it might declare my housekeeping abilities as less than stellar, but it goes a smidgen beyond that I think.

The sun room, or morning room as I delight in calling it, is full of windows bringing in light and a number of happy things. And it is also where I have my small table of African violets, two peace lilies (once divided) given at the death of my father, and to be able to tell you the exact age of the philodendron I inherited from my mother would be impossible, heavy sentiments may certainly be  attached to some plants. When frost threatens, I will bring in my bay tree, several aloe vera plants, and my rubber plants. And probably spider egg cases...even if I spray the plants with cleanser and wash thoroughly before bringing them into the house. This is a room for spiders to be nourished and happy, and as long as they are of the nonvenomous species I like to think there is a "Charlotte" hanging around in there somewhere.





Do you remember reading books written for children depicting  spiders in a good light?

1.Charlotte's Webb           E.B. White
2. The Very Busy Spider   Eric Carle
3. Miss Spider's Tea Party  David Kirk
4. Spiders in the Fruit Cellar     Barbara Joose  (This is one of my favorite ones, I must have read this to my children for years.)

1 comment:

Karen said...

Now I might feel a little bad about sucking up a spider this morning with my vacuum. We have a policy that he didn't abide by, though - hide, or stay outside. :-O

It sounds like a very nice room, otherwise. I had an acquaintance with a BEAUTIFUL sunroom that was tall enough to house a small gathering of citrus trees - lemon, lime, orange. It smelled so nice!

Karen
karenzeph@aol.com

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...