Tuesday, October 29, 2019

humility and the turnip

These humble things I do...


As a home keeper I strive to be humble and intentional in my duties, I take all my duties seriously, the simple and the arduous. I see homemaking as a wide open framework for being able to use my skills in cooking, cleaning, and organizing; to orchestrate imagination, creativity, and beauty in my home through decorating, gardening, hosting, and handiwork; and to say nothing less about serving those who mean the most to me, my family. Being thankful and joyful is a natural consequence and a  benefit received from managing my home well and caring for those I love. Lately though, I have been challenged as never before in my role as a homemaker, and I am still pondering the overwhelming surge of strength behind the disparagers, and by this I mean women in the work force arenas of public society. I think, if I can be occasionally affronted by other women concerning my chosen "career", how much more must the younger women home keepers be experiencing from those who have not seen the worthwhileness and value of choosing to be a full-time homemaker today.

"The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only- and that is to support the ultimate career".
~C.S.Lewis

And my mind can not help remembering the turnip, it is simple and humble, grows in the ground until frost and has the most delicious earthiness that some taste buds may never be able to fully apprehend.

                                                                 (photo credit, Google)

However, I am extremely encouraged by the growing number of blogs and youtube videos that support those women, younger and older, who have chosen to make home a priority. I am perusing some of them and hope to share them on a sidebar very soon.


1 comment:

Karen said...

I agree, it is a noble charge to care for one's family. It is a balancing act to serve with cheerfulness and yet still leave your children room to help themselves. What a terrific comment from C.S. Lewis; I've never thought of it that way. We feel in our house that the sacrifice of a second salary is what it takes to add in other luxuries - only having to work around one schedule, home-cooked meals, the opportunity to grow your own food, like turnips!

Karen

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...