Wednesday, October 16, 2019

today's refulgence

Before daybreak I heard the fall rains coming down gently splattering the sidewalk and bushes outside my opened bedroom window. It was a brilliant sound. Now that the temperature has dropped into proper autumn mode the cool hardwood floors have caused me to happily slip my chilled feet into socks. I pad to the kitchen with George and Serena running ahead, opening the back door to allow Louie to slip in, anon all cats are fed.
 A gentle light is switched on below the kitchen cabinets and I set the coffee to brew.


I recently purchased beeswax candles that have created a sense of both frugality and luxury. In the glow of predawn I light one single beeswax candle, warming to its soft glow.
 A quiet haven in the sun room, it is easy to be thankful for much this day.


Going to the market was on the top of my "to do" list even though the rains were coming down steadily. After preparing a breakfast of eggs and toast for my husband and me I left the house to buy needed ingredients for this cake I am baking for a friend's fiftieth birthday party tomorrow night. Three of us are hosting this party and  we thought we would each bake a different kind of cake. The  kitchen was warm and cozy as I  mixed and stirred while listening to daily downloads classical music.


The simple chore of washing dishes can be a mindless activity that alerts my mind to the enjoyment of the sights outside my window, or the thoughts of a scripture to ponder, or  prayers that may need to be uttered.

Soon enough four teenagers will enter my back door laughing and talking, unloading their Bibles and study materials for the book of Joshua to the round kitchen table while grabbing the snack I have laid out for them. This happens every Wednesday afternoon, it lightens my soul and highlights my week to say the least.

So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come.
Psalm 71:18

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

That cake looks good! I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins yesterday but I love pumpkin with cream cheese - used to make some muffins that had a dollop in the middle. I have more pumpkin I'd like to use up, *and* more cream cheese, so I will put something like this on my list.

It sounds like a lovely rainy morning. I find that if I start cooking as soon as I get downstairs, and get something going besides breakfast, before breakfast, it is so much easier to produce something from the kitchen by the end of the day.

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...