Tuesday, January 19, 2021

2021 reading challenge

"The world was hers for the reading"
                      Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

                                (0ther than the crow, this seems familiar)

Due to the occurrence of some extensive mouth and teeth surgery I had the last week of 2020, which from there hurdled me into the second week of January before I felt more normal again...what's normal these days? Thus my 2021 reading challenge is a bit delayed, but no worries because reading is wonderful and necessary and something I wish to always have in my life, ergo, my self-imposed reading challenge is only slightly delayed. 

I spent the later part of the week making my plans and gathering my books. Following are the proposed reading genres and books I am considering for this year.  As always, the majority of them are classics and I am mimicking Karen's list  as a format to include in my genres.

1. 19th Century Classic (1800-1899)...
           Far From the Maddening Crowd-Thomas Hardy 
2. 20th Century Classic (1900-1971)...
                        This Proud Heart-Pearl Buck
3. Classic written by a woman...
                         I Capture the Castle- Dodie Smith
4. Classic in translation...
         The Odyssey (Homer)-translated by Robert Fitzgerald 
5.  Classic written by a non-white author...
                    Up From Slavery- Booker T. Washington
6. Classic author new to you...
              Cry, the Beloved Country-Alan Paton
7. Classic by an author you've read before...
              The Dean's Watch- Elizabeth Goudge
8 Classic with animal in the title...
                The Little White Horse- Elizabeth Goudge
9. Humorous or satirical Classic
                       Screwtape Letters- C.S.Lewis
10. Classical Play...
                      A Winter's Tale- Shakespeare
11. Children's Classic...
                     a Laura Ingalls Wilder book
12. A biography or autobiography...
                      Bonhoeffer- Eric Metaxas
13. A religious classic...
                     In His Steps-Charles M. Sheldon
14. A classic with a Season in the Title...
                 The Solitary Summer- Elizabeth von Arnim
15. A Craft/gardening/or cook book...
        The Geometry of Handsewing-Alabama Chanin
16. A  Grace Livingston Hill  Classic
                        Duskin
17.  A modern novel...
      Peace Like A  River-Leif Enger 
 There are still several holes I will be filling in as the months go by, and these titles are not written in stone. I can change them at the last minute if another choice becomes more desirable. All in all I will be reading more books than are listed in this challenge, my goal here is to simply enjoy reading a wide variety of classics. Nothing difficult about that...
Please share some of your reading choices for 2021.   


 

2 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

You have quite a few wonderful books in your plan! They probably all are great, but several I’m especially fond of.

We are starting Screwtape Letters just this week in our high school class at church - I hadn’t read it for a long time and am loving it.

Karen said...

I'm catching up on your recent posts, and so pleased to see so many to dig into. Sorry to hear about your recent surgery. Unfortunately I can commiserate, though fortunately not recently! But I send much sympathy. I look forward to following along with all your reading in the coming year. Hopefully I will also be spending much more time reading - that is my intent, and so far, so good. I have stopped going to bed with my tablet for streaming with knitting project, and am keeping it simple with the printed word. I have not made a list, and am always amazed at these lists - book published in such a year, translated, etc. I never choose books that way and would have to do extra research - ha ha :) But who knows, maybe this year will be new in that way, too. Happy reading! I hope you have a good chair and cup o' tea. xo Karen

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...