Wednesday, February 24, 2010

bread for my table

It does not take much to entertain my mind these days. I am nurtured in being carried away with just the thought of the most simplistic of activities. So it has been this winter with the desire of making bread on a more regular basis.


This book landed in my book basket at the library with a loud thump this past week and I knew I was destined to discover how to make this activity possible in my already full day.

Almost a week was needed to acquire the suggested tools given in the book, but I had decided in order to make it work as flawlessly as possible, I would take the author's advice. After all, he did write the book. The pizza peel was a tool I did not own until now.

Today was rainy and dreary, therefore, the smell of bread baking in my kitchen was a good thought. There were a few minor mishaps. Note: Be sure to use a container big enough to hold the rising dough.

The timing of steps given in the book were rather accurate, so I was able to bless my family tonight with an artisan loaf of bread to eat along with the turkey meatball soup.

Another mishap was the making of only one loaf...two would have been better, especially since Witt stopped by and ate dinner with us.

I now have a large circular Tupperware container in my refrigerator holding dough that will be made into tasty loafs of bread in the days to come...in just five minutes.. and I do believe that is correct timing.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Your bread looks very tasty! I find myself wanting to bake on days like yesterday, too. I made banana nut cake.
We didn't get anything other than snow showers yesterday, too. It was beautiful and left as quickly as it came.

crochet lady said...

I saw that book come through the library a few weeks ago and had to laugh...five minutes you got to be kidding me. Making bread for me was always a morning long event.

Maybe I'll check that book out and see what the tricks are.

Cathy said...

crochet lady

Active involvement of the dough after the dough is made is no more than five minutes. (emphasis on after) The five minutes reality is forming the loaf from the wet dough stored in your refrigerator. Of course, the resting and baking time involves more than five minutes too.

Elisabeth Black said...

I love this book. Thanks for visiting my blog. I was just thinking about you yesterday, since I have a couple basket-making books out from the library, and I remembered you make pretty baskets.

Suzanne said...

Cathy, thank you for visiting my blog and your kind words! I have this book also--your bread looks like it came straight from a fancy bakery:-)

Hill upon Hill said...

Hi, it has been so nice knowing that you have visited!

While in New Zealand, I watched my friend's husband make the simplest of breads. No kneading. It has a link on my blog somewhere. I wonder if it is the same as yours?

The dB family said...

This looks like a very inspiring book. Your breads look delicious! I'm going to have to see if they have this one in our library.

Blessings!
Deborah

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...