Thursday, February 8, 2024

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands.

Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to closely observe some of the birds I have seen on my previous walks.  But I mostly begin with listening, stopping when I heard the call of a bird. That is when I spotted a chickadee! He was eating the fungi on a tree branch amongst the underbrush and between bites he would stop and chatter. This was the first time I have seen a chickadee here on the property. The sunflower seeds at my house feeder do not attract him, but now I know he is present and that makes me happy.

In Walden wood the chickadee
Runs round the pine and maple tree
Intent on insect slaughter:
O tufted entomologist!
Devour as many as you list,
Then drink in Walden water.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fragments on Nature and Life

No comments:

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...