Friday, August 6, 2021

picking geen beans and refreshment

As in any summer garden, the beans need to be picked. This is not something to be penciled in on a calendar just a matter of do it when the beans are ready on the vine. After a bit of stooping and picking in the heat and humidity I am thirsty for refreshment and I do believe I have a found the answer in a fermented ginger drink...ginger "beer" so the recipe I follow calls it. But my teetotaler friends gristle at the word beer, and truthfully this is the only "beer" I will drink, so if I am feeling pious I call it homemade ginger ale. It is delicious and it is refreshing, quenching any thirst and providing that bit of homemade carbonization which pleases.  





So I pick a spell, then I sit with my pan of beans, a true token of accomplishment, sipping my ginger beverage to total refreshment.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I have not tried fermenting, I don't know if I want to, but you make it sound tempting! I canned some peaches yesterday. As you say, you can't pencil it in on the calendar, that moment just shows up. We love fresh beans, sauteed in olive oil with salt and a squeeze of lemon. Haven't ever grown them, shall have to try that next year.

Cathy said...

I cook my green beans with little potatoes. Then add butter to the hot beans, sprinkle with salt and pepper...so good.

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...