Thursday, February 1, 2024

blue skies, forded creeks, cow-laden fields and wild forest plants

So many days come and go with seemingly sealed blurriness or with leaps and bounds of constant needs, animate or inanimate, to be attended.

But then there are the serene ordinary days. Those are by far my most favorite because it is in these ordinary days that I quietly learn and sometimes what I learn has a distinct affect on me. But whatever the nature of the day, one truth remains, 

His mercies are new every day.

Considering my recurrent forest walks of last year,  these days I will usually walk the ridge at Good Drop. The up and down lane of Good Drop Ridge gives a  pleasant and healthy workout, but how I have missed those walks in the woods.

There came a huge change back late last summer that has made the woods very different in some places. When I happen to walk the forest paths now I must reestablish my bearings. Fifty-eight acres have been timbered right next to our property. In times past I would cross over the property lines from time to time in my walks and I became familiar with the various paths. One day around dinner time I heard a knock on the front door. The granddaughter of the man who built this home was standing on the front porch. She was visiting from another state and came to check the timbering on her property. Thankfully, she plans to replant the land in pines. It was a pleasurable visit and she was able to tell me a few things about our property including the fact that it was a King George III land grant back in the 1700's. 

I have been gaining headway in my bearings and returning to more frequent forest walks. On this day I wore a half apron as it provided a handy place to put things I want to either carry along with me, or to be handy to gather things from my woodsy excursion.




These last two photos are on the other side of our property alongside the woods where the cows graze in the fields ( the black blobs are cows). I will cross the creek and continue up the hill to the top of our property.

No comments:

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...