Saturday, December 10, 2022

the old house

 There is something about an old dilapidated house that deems exploring. When we bought this property we had all sorts of imaginings of what this old house was in years past. It sits in the back side yard of our property, and we do not yet know what it was used for other than the obvious that someone lived there years ago.




Now that the weather temperatures have changed we have gone inside to check it out. (This is a snake's paradise in our area in warmer seasons and we are not fools). The floor is unsafe in several places, but you recognize the kitchen, the bathroom (yes, there is a bathroom), the living room with a fireplace, a downstairs bedroom and an upstairs bedroom.  I see containers of canning jars, old mattresses tossed atop one another and two large wooden trunks. There is much work to do here and we do not know if any part is even salvageable as of yet, but is certainly does stir the curiosity of many a visitor who comes by to visit us.



I gingerly pressed open the door and stepped inside recently. I am one that can see possibilities in things, but truly all I could see here was perhaps using the sink as an outside vegetable washing station and the canning jars could be washed and sterilized. 
That is all I will say about this old house at the moment.


3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh wow, that's so terrific! I would love to buy a property with an old house - I confess, I might be foolish enough that I wouldn't have waited for cold weather to explore, but maybe you have experience I don't. The canning jars! The sink!!! The old trunk - treasures or mischief may still be waiting to be found! Oh I try not to envy, but otherwise, I definitely would envy you. Giddiness aside, the chimney looks like it might be coming down. That would be fun to repurpose for some path pavers in the garden!

My first thought upon seeing your post was wondering whether you've looked into historical society, newspapers.com, or something like that, to find some history?!I'll look forward to some future post about the contents of the trunk. :)

Karen

Cathy said...

Karen,
You must not know my area in regard to copperhead snakes that make their homes in places such as this...black snakes too, but they are not venomous at least. And we have seen a copperhead not far from this old house...and where there is one there are more!

The floors are not good in certain rooms either, so you must be careful. You and me think the same way, yes, the brick would make lovely pavers or perhaps even an outdoor BBQ chimney stove. One of the trunks has more canning jars...the other might be empty, I can not remember...Cody went into both of them.

There is a cousin nearby of the previous owner who is in his late 80's. He knows the history of things and I hope to get up with him and find out some of the" mysteries" of this home as well as the old home place to which our land is part of. We have been told that before the Revolutionary War much of this land was deeded to a family by the king of England. Marriages expand to the family of which land we now own.

Amelia said...

Oh my goodness! I am intrigued! I love things like this. And yes...The copperheads are alive and well. My husband just found one curled up on the slab of his barn by the garage door of it. Yikes.

The old trunks, the pepper container...the jars...Oh the stories they could tell! And those old cabinets...Oh my goodness. Just so neat.

Please share when you find out who lived there and the back story! : )

Thank you for sharing! I'm new here, I'm Amelia at The Forest Cathedral blog.

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...