Sunday, April 26, 2020

Sunday Dinner

"One of the most amazing revelations of God comes when we learn that it is in the commonplace things that the Deity of Jesus Christ is realized.
~Oswald Chambers
After church service our family partakes in what we call Sunday Dinner at my house. Yes, the numbers are smaller these days as just the three of us are gathered at one end of the dining room table, but when eating a meal in the more formal dining room a  special touch is added to this very significant day, the LORD's Day. Today, a Sunday in late April, we did not pull out the best china or crystal as we do on some Sundays. But we did light the candles and this beautiful music was playing in the background.

And it is surely time to expand the numbers around my table and share memorable times with others...soon, very soon!

3 comments:

Polly said...

I love this! Celebration of the small things, in small ways--and the tradition of Sunday dinner is such a gift for those who gather around your table, even if the number is small.

Cathy I want to say thank you for the sweet comments you have left on my blog. Due to my own ignorance and technical incapability, I haven't seen comments for over a year and just encountered them this morning. They have been such a blessing to me. Thank you for your beautiful words and your kind heart.

Hill upon Hill said...

Oh how special.

Karen said...

Lovely music!
Six months after I got married and moved out, my sister joined my brother at out-of-state college. My mom asked us to PLEASE come to Sunday dinners. As a newly-wed with little cooking skills and a tight budget, I was happy to have one day a week not to worry so much. It was a tradition that lasted through my brother's marriage and return to town, and my sister living there sometimes, until my parents retired and moved to the mountains. I feel fortunate that my kids had so many years with regular family visits that didn't require holidays, deaths, etc. The kids are all still very close.
It feels like our society underestimates real face time. I'm glad my kids have had other experiences. I love that you still have Sunday dinner with family and friends. :)

a chickadee

 I have taken to afternoon walks in the fields along the side of the woodlands. Today I carried along a small pair of binoculars hoping to c...